By Jim Fannin
How do you set personal records? How do you stay the course when there are so many distractions? How do you juggle all that life throws your way? How can you shorten the road to success?
There is a secret tool peak performers have used to be successful. It keeps you on course to a positive end result. It’s called the Link Methodä.
Most of us visualize before we want something to happen. However, there is another way to use visualization that has served my clients for over 40 years. This simple, 90-Second Rule™ technique has saved hours of waste and helped link performances together into a chain of success.
During my tennis teaching days I would spend 60-70 long hours per week on the court giving lessons to client after client. My mission was simple: Help all I taught reach his or her full potential. One lesson would leave and another was waiting to begin. Because I had so many clients, it was easy to forget what I worked on the previous week with each person. In order to create continuity in the lessons and produce the best tennis player possible, I discovered this simple technique.
After every tennis lesson, I invested 90-seconds (sometimes less) to visualize (in movie format) next week’s lesson for the departing client. In addition, I visualized him or her as the best tennis player they could be. 90-seconds. Done. And then I would clear my head (Re-Boot™) and begin my next lesson. One week later my subconscious mind would pull from my memory exactly where I left off. Without missing a beat this lesson flow eventually unlocked their potential.
How can this 90-Second Rule™ tool be applied to your life?
- After every phone call, visualize the next phone call or interaction with the same person. See it positive.
- After every meeting, visualize the actions desired in finished state. See the next meeting with the results in hand.
- With your clients or customers, see their next move as successful with it leading to their desired outcome. 90-seconds is all it takes.
- With your children, see them successful within 90-seconds of reprimanding or punishing them.
- Within 90-seconds of an argument, see peace and harmony in your mind.
Add 90-seconds to the end of every performance. It is this small amount of time that connects the dots to setting records and manifesting life visions.
After swiftly evaluating or analyzing your last performance, close the door on it. Now wield the 90-Second Rule™ “Link Method” as follows:
- Be in the moment.
- Relax your jaw, eyes and entire face.
- Reduce your breathing to 6-8 breaths per minute. This requires longer inhales and exhales. After some practice, this only takes a few seconds.
- Start your mental movie. Approximately 83% of all people visualize, as if they’re looking through their eyes in real life. Approximately 15% of visualizers see in their mind’s eye, as if they are looking down upon a movie set, typically from the right side. Approximately 2% see no images in their mind’s eye. The first two ways work the same. The last way also works although you physically don’t see anything (thinking it will still program your subconscious). Which way do you visualize?
- The key to impactful visualization is to incorporate ALL of your senses with the imaginary mental movie. In addition to visual, this includes adding sound, taste, touch and smell to your mini-movie.
- When you are in public, it is essential that you are not aware of what others may be doing or thinking. Be locked in the moment. Full engagement. This may take practice. Many can visualize with their eyes wide open. However, most require the eyes to be shut for them to be effective. Orel Hershiser, one of the great MLB pitchers, has used the “Link” tool after an opposing hitter belted a home run against him. He shut his eyes on the mound during the game and pictured striking him out as the opposing player was literally rounding the bases for home plate. The next time Orel faced him, he struck him out!
Why does this 90-Second Rule™ technique work?
It works because your subconscious mind does NOT know the difference between fantasy and reality. Proof of this occurs when you awake from a nightmare. Startled and shaken, you awake with dilated eyes, increased heart rate, shortness of breath and perspiration dripping from your brow. The mental movie playing in your mind while in a deep sleep seemed so real that your body reacted to it as if it were so. This is the only reason visualization works.
Your subconscious mind does NOT know the difference between fantasy and reality.
Connect your performances together with the Link Method™ that has been used successfully in the NFL, MLB, MLS, NBA, ATP Tour, PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, every amateur sport, as well as Fortune 500 boardrooms and grade school, junior high, high school, and college classrooms globally.
Each performance is a stepping-stone to success. Envision your successful, next step before you take it.
Be in the Zone!™
P.S. For questions, suggestions or anything else, contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright ZoneCoach, LLC. All Rights Reserved. 2020. The 90-Second RuleÔ, S.C.O.R.E.®, ZoneCoach®, and Be in the Zone!™ are federally registered to ZoneCoach, LLC.
Jim Fannin is America’s ZoneCoach®. He is a best-selling author, platform speaker, and peak performance, life, sports and executive coach. His client list reads like a who’s who list featuring celebrity actors, directors and entertainers, as well as 28 MLB All-Stars, 7 world’s top 10 tennis players, scores of PGA stars, NBA All-Stars, NFL All-Pros and Olympic Gold Medalists. In addition, Jim has coached executives from 350 of the Fortune 500. Check out his latest book, The Blueprint: A Proven Plan for Successful Living. Find Jim at www.jimfannin.com.
Leave A Comment